PROVINCETOWN — The project known as “the Barracks,” which has been stalled in court for the last year, is one step closer to reality.
Lawyers for both sides filed a joint motion in Barnstable Superior Court on June 10, saying an “agreement in principle” had been reached between Patrick Patrick, who proposed the project at 207 Route 6, and the project’s neighbors, who have appealed the permits granted for it.
“It’s progress,” Patrick said on Monday. “It looks very hopeful at this point.”
The case was scheduled to go to trial on June 22, but both sides asked for a continuance. “The agreement is dependent on new architectural, engineering and landscaping plans that will likely take several weeks,” stated the court filing.
Patrick’s proposal is for a three-story building with 28 four-person dormitory-style rooms; 15 year-round rental apartments; and one two-bedroom manager’s suite. The dormitory rooms would be for seasonal occupancy, with short-term use in the spring and fall by nonprofit organizations.
The project won unanimous approvals from the select board, zoning board, and planning board.
Abutters Julie Gray, Alison Gray, Jay Gurewitsch, and John Crowley appealed the planning board’s special permit and asked the court to bar Patrick’s use of Province Road as access to the property.
In a departure from normal practice and a nod to the town’s housing crisis, the town assisted with the legal defense of Patrick’s permit.
Gurewitsch declined to comment on Monday, deferring to attorney William Henchy, who did not return a call.
“We don’t yet have a signed agreement,” said Patrick, “but there’s been a good faith effort by all parties.”
He said there will still be a lot of steps to take if an agreement is finalized, including a likely return to the planning and zoning boards with new plans.
“With a project like this, it will take a couple of years to be ready for occupancy,” he said.