PROVINCETOWN — The state fire marshal and Provincetown Fire Chief Michael Trovato have determined the cause of the Nov. 21 fire that killed John Eder was accidental.
According to an announcement from state Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey’s office, the fire had three possible causes: an electrical failure, a woodstove fire, or a portable heater malfunction.
Eder, 74, was found by firefighters in his bed at 86 Atkins Mayo Road, Trovato said. The home was located in a remote section of town and was a challenge to fight because the nearest hydrant was 1,200 feet away, the announcement stated.
“On behalf of all the Provincetown firefighters, I offer our condolences to the family,” said Trovato in a prepared statement. “This is a sad end to a long life.”
The Provincetown Fire Dept., the Provincetown Police Dept., and state police assigned to both the fire marshal and the Cape and Islands district attorney’s office jointly investigated the fire. —K.C. Myers